50 students escape after Niger Catholic school abduction – CAN

Date:

Share post:

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Niger State on Sunday confirmed that 50 students abducted from St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area, have escaped from captivity.

In a statement, Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, chairman of the Niger State chapter of CAN and Catholic bishop of Kontagora Diocese, said the pupils regained their freedom between Friday and Saturday and quietly returned to their families.

Earlier reports had indicated that over 300 students and staff remained in the hands of kidnappers. In response, Pope Leo XIV urged for their immediate release.

Speaking at the Angelus prayer on Sunday, the Pope said:
“I learned with immense sadness the news of the kidnappings of priests, faithful, and students in Nigeria and Cameroon. I make a heartfelt appeal for the immediate release of the hostages.

” Let us pray for these brothers and sisters and that churches and schools may always and everywhere remain places of safety and hope.”

The CAN had earlier described the attacks as deeply troubling and expressed solidarity with the victims’ families. Security agencies continue efforts to secure the release of the remaining hostages.

spot_img

Related articles

Wild Africa urges swift pangolin protection law

Wild Africa has urged the Federal Government to expedite passage of the Endangered Species Conservation and Protection Bill...

How tanker crash killed woman in Lagos

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) says a petrol tanker accident at Ekoro Road, Abule Egba, has...

Shettiman Keffi applauds President Tinubu over new electoral law

By Shettiman Keffi I wish to sincerely commend President Bola Tinibu, for signing the 2022 Electoral Act into law,...

Traditional Rulers Key to Ndokwa Unity – Amechi Asugwuni

The President-General of the Ndokwa Neku Union (NNU), Chief Amechi Asugwuni, says traditional rulers remain central to promoting...