Assassination Attempt: Donald Trump injured, suspect shot dead

Date:

Share post:

Former US President Donald Trump was rushed off stage after gunshots erupted at a rally in Pennsylvania in an apparent assassination attempt.

Footage showed him grimace and raise a hand to his right ear, before ducking as several sharp cracks – a series of shots – broke out.

He was quickly swarmed by US Secret Service agents and dragged off stage to a waiting vehicle. He raised a fist as he was bundled into the car.

In a post to his Truth Social network, Trump said a bullet pierced the “upper part” of his right ear. Earlier, his spokesperson said he was receiving treatment at a local medical centre.

“I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound, shots, and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin,” Trump wrote. “Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening.”

Blood was clearly visible on Trump’s ear and face as protection officers rushed him away.

The suspect was shot dead at the scene by US Secret Service officers, the agency’s spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said. He added that one bystander was killed in the shooting and two others were critically injured.

Officials later revealed that all three victims were male.

Law enforcement sources told the BBC’s US partner CBS News that the male attacker had been armed with a rifle and had fired from an elevated structure a few hundred metres away outside the venue.

FBI agents – who are leading the investigation – told reporters in Butler that they had “tentatively identified” the dead gunman, but were yet to establish a motive.

Special Agent Kevin Rojek confirmed the agency was treating the shooting as an assassination attempt.

He added that the suspect was not carrying ID and that investigators were using DNA in an attempt to formally identify him.

The Republican candidate for president had just started addressing his supporters in Butler, Pennsylvania – a crucial swing state in November’s election – when the shots started.

Multiple bangs rang out as Trump spoke about his successor, President Joe Biden, and his administration.

Several supporters holding placards and standing behind Trump ducked as the shots were heard.

spot_img

Related articles

Natasha: Kogi Central recall process concluded – INEC

The Director of Voter Education and Publicity at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Victoria Eta-Messi, says the...

How Police rescued kidnapped foreigner in Taraba

The Police Command in Taraba State, in collaboration with the military and hunters, has rescued a kidnapped foreigner. The...

Why South Korea’s court ousts impeached President Yoon

South Korea’s top court on Friday unanimously ruled to remove impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol from office over...

UN: Treaty on older people’s rights moves ahead

Geneva, April 3, 2025 – The United Nations Human Rights Council began an intergovernmental process on April 3,...