Court decries certificate to Ihite Monarch-elect despite pending suit

Date:

Share post:

A High Court sitting in Umunze, Orumba South Local Government Area, has decried the issuance of a certificate of recognition to one Chief Timothy Ifurunwa as monarch-elect of Ihite community in Orumba South Anambra.

The certificate was issued on Jan. 14, by Gov. Chukwuma Soludo alongside other traditional rulers, despite ongoing litigation challenging Ifurunwa’s emergence.

Chief Sampson Okoli, Mr Raymond Okoli and Mr Emeka Onyeanusi, representing the Umuezeoma kindred of Umuezeawuru village, are laying claim to the throne.

The Ihite Traditional Council is also disputing the process, alleging they were sidelined by a small group in the community, even though they are the recognised kingmakers.

During court proceedings in suit No. HOS/47/2024, the presiding judge, Justice Jude Obiora, faulted the issuance of a certificate to Ifurunwa while the validity of his election was still before the court.

On learning that a coronation had been scheduled for Jan. 3, 2026, the judge queried:

“Why was a certificate issued in the first place when the matter is still in court? It is this lawlessness that has kept us where we are today,” he said.

Counsel to the state government, Mr Ifeanyi Oguejiofor, informed the court that he was unable to file some required processes due to ill health and requested more time.

Counsel to the 4th to 7th defendants, representing the Ihite Traditional Council, Mr Ndubuisi Onyeakpa, expressed concern over the planned coronation.

According to Onyeakpa, the planned coronation can render their suit nugatory and urged the court to order a halt to the process.

The court adjourned the matter to Jan. 29, 2026 to allow all parties to file outstanding processes.

Speaking to journalists after the sitting, Oguejiofor said the matter could not proceed because all filings were incomplete.

He added that the planned coronation was not before the court for determination at the sitting.

The plaintiff, High Chief Sampson Okoli, expressed satisfaction, commending the judge for condemning the issuance of the certificate while the dispute remained unresolved.

“We have been on this matter for a long time.

“I’m happy the judge pointed out what was wrong. I believe they will not go ahead with the coronation after what the court said today,” he said.

spot_img

Related articles

Gumel Hails Senior Female Volleyball Team For Breaking 16-year Jinx, Qualification For 2028 Olympics

By Dianabasi Effiong The President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel, has congratulated the Senior Female National...

CSOs ​‌‌commend FEC move to decriminalise attempted suicide, urge bill passage

The Nigerian Mental Health and Nigeria Suicide Prevention Advocacy Working Group, have commended the Federal Executive Council (FEC)...

APGA Senatorial Candidate Sues For Calm after murder of supporter

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) Candidate for Ebonyi North Senatorial district Chief Chikaodili Ojimba has urged party...

Talba urges harmonisation of energy policies

Dr Imamuddeen Talba, Pioneer Chairman, Steering Committee of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Associations Alliance (REEEA-A), has...