Editors warn against harassment, intimidation of journalists

Date:

Share post:

The Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE) has warned that it would not longer tolerate any attempt by institutions of government to intimidate or harass journalists who are legitimately doing their job.

Reacting to the continuous detention of Segun Olatunji, the Editor of FirstNews, NGE said the media in the country had in the last ten months enjoyed a healthy relationship with the present administration.

Dr. Iyobosa Uwagiaren, the General Secretary of NGE, said the abduction of their colleague by men suspected to be members of the Nigerian Army seems to have punctured the cordial relationship.

According to him, efforts by the NGE to confirm the whereabouts of Olatunji from the military high command have not been successful, as they are yet to respond to their inquiry.

Uwujaren also called on President Bola Tinubu to intervene by ordering the military command to, without delay, release Olatunji or charge him to court if he had done anything against the law.

“From the account of the organization (FirstNews), the military went to his house in Lagos and took him away because of a story that they published.

”Since then, we have been trying to get in touch with the military authority to find out if he is actually with them. We have made frantic efforts to reach out to the military authority, but they are yet to respond.

“If truly he is with them, there is no need to keep him in detention for almost a week now. They should either release or charge him to court if he has committed any crime.

”So, I am using this opportunity to appeal to President Bola Tinubu to order his release. He should have the opportunity to defend himself in a court of law if he truly has committed any crime.

“We have enjoyed a good relationship with this government since it came on board, but to start with this, we won’t tolerate it,” he said.

The Publisher of FirstNews, Daniel Iworiso-Markson, while giving an update on the incident on Wednesday, said they are still in search of their Editor, Segun Olatunji, six days after he was whisked away by the gunmen, two of whom were dressed in military uniform.

Iworiso-Markson expressed his appreciation to individuals and groups such as the Nigerian Guild of Editors and the Nigeria Union of Journalists for coming out strongly to demand for Olatunji’s release.

“We are indeed grateful for intervention by the Guild of Editors and the NUJ, including the support and solidarity of numerous media houses, friends and professional colleagues in their efforts to ensure the release of Segun Olatunji.

“Their support have been overwhelming and encouraging, but we are not there yet. We want to urge them not to relent in their support until Segun Olatunji is released and returned safely back to his family.”

spot_img

Related articles

Shettiman Keffi applauds President Tinubu over new electoral law

By Shettiman Keffi I wish to sincerely commend President Bola Tinibu, for signing the 2022 Electoral Act into law,...

Traditional Rulers Key to Ndokwa Unity – Amechi Asugwuni

The President-General of the Ndokwa Neku Union (NNU), Chief Amechi Asugwuni, says traditional rulers remain central to promoting...

A’Ibom: Udoedehe tasks Gov Eno on 76 oil wells’ dispute

By Dianabasi Effiong Sen. John Udoedehe, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and former interim national Secretary...

LAWMA secures convictions for 19 environmental offenders

Seventeen persons arrested for open urination and defecation, along with two others apprehended for indiscriminate dumping of refuse,...