LASEMA assures public of safety following building collapse incident

Date:

Share post:

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has reassured residents of its commitment to ensuring the safety of lives and property following the recent building collapse in the state.

The Permanent Secretary, LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke- Osanyintolu gave the assurance on Monday evening in an interview with newsmen at the scene of the Ebutte Meta building collapse.

Oke- Osanyintolu said that investigations have already commenced to determine the cause of the incident, including material testing and other empirical assessments by relevant stakeholders.

“We do not want a repeat of such tragedies.

Our priority is the safety of lives. That is why we have mobilized all relevant agencies to carry out thorough investigations.

“We appeal to Lagosians to cooperate with government regulations, as enforcement alone cannot prevent disasters without community support,” he said.

On the actual numbers of persons in the building, the permanent secretary clarified that while figures about casualties remain unconfirmed, emergency responders were on ground, working carefully and steadily to rescue trapped persons and provide necessary medical support.

” So far, we have rescued six persons alive, while four persons were recovered dead.

“The most important thing as emergency managers is to ensure peace, safety, and coordinated response.

“Our heavy-duty equipment is fully deployed, and we are treating this operation with utmost seriousness,” he added.

He further stressed that the government is committed to strict enforcement of building codes and regulations.

He, however, called on residents to complement government’s efforts by adhering to approved standards and promptly reporting suspicious or defective structures.

He stressed that the government of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu was doing everything humanly possible to protect the lives and property of Lagos residents.

He urged members of the public to remain calm and allow rescue operations to continue without disruption.

Oke- Osanyintolu added that since Friday evening that the building collapsed, search and rescue operations had continued round the clock until the building gets to ground zero.

spot_img

Related articles

Gumel Hails Senior Female Volleyball Team For Breaking 16-year Jinx, Qualification For 2028 Olympics

By Dianabasi Effiong The President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel, has congratulated the Senior Female National...

CSOs ​‌‌commend FEC move to decriminalise attempted suicide, urge bill passage

The Nigerian Mental Health and Nigeria Suicide Prevention Advocacy Working Group, have commended the Federal Executive Council (FEC)...

APGA Senatorial Candidate Sues For Calm after murder of supporter

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) Candidate for Ebonyi North Senatorial district Chief Chikaodili Ojimba has urged party...

Talba urges harmonisation of energy policies

Dr Imamuddeen Talba, Pioneer Chairman, Steering Committee of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Associations Alliance (REEEA-A), has...