Onuachu replaces injured Umar ahead Sunday’s opener

Date:

Share post:

Paul Onuachu will replace the Real Sociedad forward Sadiq Umar, who has been ruled out of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) to be held in Cote d’Ivoire.

Umar reportedly suffered a knee injury in Nigeria’s 2-0 loss to Guinea in a friendly game in Abu Dhabi on Monday.

He now joins the likes of Leicester City’s midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi and Bayern Leverkusen’s, Victor Boniface on the injury list.

A post on X by the Suoer Eagles handle revealed this on Friday and It read: Sadiq Umar is out of the AFCON 2023 squad due to injury; Paul Onuachu replaces him.”

Onuachu had been named in the  Super Eagles’ provisional 40-man squad for the AFCON but was dropped for the final 23-man list by Jose Peserio.

Umar  is expected to return to Spain for treatment

Peserio’s men will kick start their campaign against Equatorial Guinea in their Group A opening game on Sunday, January 14th.

spot_img

Related articles

Wild Africa urges swift pangolin protection law

Wild Africa has urged the Federal Government to expedite passage of the Endangered Species Conservation and Protection Bill...

How tanker crash killed woman in Lagos

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) says a petrol tanker accident at Ekoro Road, Abule Egba, has...

Shettiman Keffi applauds President Tinubu over new electoral law

By Shettiman Keffi I wish to sincerely commend President Bola Tinibu, for signing the 2022 Electoral Act into law,...

Traditional Rulers Key to Ndokwa Unity – Amechi Asugwuni

The President-General of the Ndokwa Neku Union (NNU), Chief Amechi Asugwuni, says traditional rulers remain central to promoting...