Türk voices horror at loss of life of displaced…

Date:

Share post:

Geneza, May 27, 2024 – UN Human Rights Chief Volker Türk on Monday voiced his horror at the further loss of civilian life in Gaza, after Israeli air strikes on Sunday hit a camp for displaced people in the southern city of Rafah.

“The images from the camp are horrific and point to no apparent change in the methods and means of warfare used by Israel that have already led to so many civilian deaths,” said Türk.

“Sunday’s strike underscores once again that there is literally no safe place in Gaza.”

On 26 May, Palestinian armed groups fired a large barrage of rockets towards Tel Aviv in Israel, with several people reported to have been slightly injured.

A few hours later, munitions from an Israeli aircraft struck a camp in the Al Hashash area in Rafah. Reports from the ground indicate several explosions and fires were ignited.

The area was said to be sheltering people who had been displaced from North Gaza.

Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) said that the strike had targeted senior “Hamas officials”, and that they were aware of reports that civilians had been harmed in the resulting fires.

“I note that the IDF has announced a review, but what is shockingly clear is that by striking such an area, densely packed with civilians, this was an entirely predictable outcome. It is crucial that such reviews lead to accountability and changes in policy and practices,” the High Commissioner said.

“I call on Israel to cease its military offensive in Rafah Governorate, as ordered by the International Court of Justice (ICJ).”

On 24 May, the ICJ ordered Israel to halt its offensive and any other action in the Rafah Governorate which could bring about “the physical destruction” of the Palestinian group in Gaza.

The High Commissioner once again called on all parties to the conflict to put in place a ceasefire, given the imperative of protecting civilians.

“Palestinian armed groups must stop the firing of rockets which are inherently indiscriminate, in clear violation of international humanitarian law. They must also unconditionally release all hostages at once,” Türk said.

“Israel must take immediate steps to protect civilians, and ensure they have access to essential humanitarian assistance, and release all those detained arbitrarily.”

spot_img

Related articles

Former governor of Oyo State Olunloyo is dead

A former governor of Oyo State, Dr. Victor Olunloyo, is dead a few days before his 90th birthday. This...

Goodwill Medical Centre: Transforming community service in Enugu

By Paul Ejime After its commissioning on 23rd November 2023 by its chief benefactor, General TY Danjuma, the Goodwill...

inDrive drivers vow to continue fighting for rights

The Amalgamated Union of App-Based Transporters of Nigeria (AUATON) have vowed to continue its fight against alleged anti-labour...

Container falls on 7 vehicles in Lagos, killing one, two injured

The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) has confirmed the death of a pedestrian who was killed in...