Ukraine: IAEA Briefs Security Council On Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Plant

Date:

Share post:

Mr Rafael Mariano Grossi, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General

Mr Rafael Mariano Grossi, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General on Thursday briefed the UN Security Council in New York on the situation at the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant in Ukraine.

Grossi addressed the situation at the Zaporizhzya nuclear power plant.

He assured the Council of his ongoing efforts to deploy an expert mission to the site as soon as possible.

“We must be clear that any potential damage to Zaporizhzhia or any other nuclear facilities in Ukraine, or anywhere else, could lead to catastrophic consequence.

“It could lead to catastrophic consequence not only for the immediate vicinity, but for the region and beyond. This is wholly unacceptable,’’ Grossi said.

Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appealed for an end to military activities around the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Plant in Ukraine, saying the must stop immediately.

Europe’s largest nuclear plant has been occupied by Russian forces since March, and last week the external power supply system was damaged in an attack.

“I am calling for all military activities in the immediate vicinity of the plant to cease immediately and not to target its facilities or surroundings,” Guterres said in a statement.

The secretary-general recalled his appeal to all parties “to exercise common sense and reason” and not do anything that might endanger the plant’s physical integrity, safety or security.

“Regrettably, instead of de-escalation, over the past several days there have been reports of further deeply worrying incidents that could, if they continue, lead to disaster.

“I urge the withdrawal of any military personnel and equipment from the plant and the avoidance of any further deployment of forces or equipment to the site.

“The facility must not be used as part of any military operation. Instead, urgent agreement is needed at a technical level on a safe perimeter of demilitarization to ensure the safety of the area,” he said. 

spot_img

Related articles

NOC hails Kida on appointment as Chairman NNPC Board

Engr. Habu Gumel, President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), says, ''We in the Olympic Nigeria Olympic Movement...

Lekki, Italy-based businessmen arrested over illicit drug shipments…

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have arrested a Lekki-based businessman and proprietor of Damillionz...

Gumel condoles family of late Abdullahi, president of Taekwondo

Engr. Habu Gumel, president of the Nigeria Olympic Committee, says the Olympic Movement Nigeria is deeply saddened to...

Sterling Bank leads protest for removal of transfer charges

In a landmark move that sets a new benchmark for customer-focused banking in Nigeria, Sterling Bank has championed...