“Visit Saudi” will not be sponsor at women’s World Cup – Infantino

Date:

Share post:

FIFA president Gianni Infantino 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino says “Visit Saudi”, an organisation owned by Saudi Arabia, will not be a sponsor at this year’s women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. 

nfantino, did not ruled out future commercial opportunities for the gulf nation in women’s football.

The Saudi Arabia tourism board had been touted as a potential sponsor of the expanded 32-team tournament.

This drew sharp criticism from a number of quarters, though Infantino says it is all a “storm in a tea cup”.

The greatest ire came from Football Australia (FA), who said there was an “overwhelming consensus that this partnership does not align with our collective vision for the tournament and falls short of our expectations”.

Other leading figures in the women’s game also criticised the plan, including veteran U.S. forward Alex Morgan, who said it “morally” did not make sense.

“There were discussions with Visit Saudi, but in the end these did not lead to a contract. So, it was a storm in a tea cup,” Infantino said at FIFA’s Congress in Kigali on Thursday.

“But, having said that, FIFA is an organisation made up of 211 countries. There is nothing wrong with taking sponsorships from Saudi Arabia, China, U.S., Brazil or India.”

Infantino added that critics of the potential sponsorship ignored the commercial arrangements that already exist between companies in Saudi Arabia and Australia.

“When it comes to Australia, they have trade with Saudi Arabia (worth) 1.5 billion dollars per year. This doesn’t seem to be a problem?

“There is a double standard which I really do not understand. There is no issue, there is no contract, but of course we want to see how we can involve Saudi sponsors, and those from Qatar, in women’s football generally,” he said.

James Johnson, the chief executive of the Football Association (FA) in Australia, said in a statement they are pleased there is clarity on the situation.

“We welcome clarification from FIFA regarding Visit Saudi,” he said.

“Equality, diversity and inclusion are really deep commitments for Football Australia and we’ll continue to work hard with FIFA to ensure the Women’s World Cup is shaped in this light.

“It is a historic event for our nation, showcasing the world’s greatest female players and advancing the game globally.”

Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has introduced reforms allowing women greater control over their lives in recent years but men still retain a tight grip on power in the kingdom.(Reuters)

spot_img

Related articles

Tinubu praises NDLEA over success against transborder drug network

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) and the staff for the remarkable...

LagosReads boosts digital reading culture with 2026 competition

Lagos State Government’s continued investment in restricted digital learning platforms aims to boost reading culture and shield students...

Nigeria, China deepen Police cooperation against cybercrime

The Zone 2 Police Command and China’s Shandong Provincial Public Security Department have strengthened cooperation on cybercrime prevention,...

Why Nigerian electoral space yearns for independent candidacy

By Obike Ukoh The imperative of independent candidacy as part of Nigeria’s electoral system has re-echoed as a result...