WHO allocates $2M in response to deadly floods in Libya

Date:

Share post:

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday announced that it is releasing $2 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies to support Libya, where devastating floods have killed thousands.

“We are deploying contingency supplies that were already in the country, and 28 metric tons of trauma, surgical and emergency supplies are due to arrive tomorrow from our logistics hub in Dubai,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press briefing in Geneva.

Noting that WHO also activated its network of emergency medical teams, Tedros said eight countries and organizations have offered their assistance and a team from France has already deployed a field hospital in the affected area.

He emphasized that not only the death toll is increasing in the country, but also the health needs of the survivors are becoming “more urgent.”

WHO is working with the Libyan Health Ministry and partners to rush emergency relief to the affected areas, he added.

At least 6,000 people have been killed and thousands remain missing from weekend floods in eastern Libya, according to officials.

According to the UN migration agency, more than 36,000 people have been displaced due to floods so far.

Torrential rains swept through several regions, most notably in the cities of Derna, Benghazi, Al-Bayda, Al-Marj and Soussa.

Regarding the earthquake in Morocco, Tedros feared that the number of people who died and injured “will continue to rise in the coming days.”

“Our information is that most roads have now been cleared, and search and rescue teams have been able to access the majority of affected areas,” he said.

He added that the response is led by the Moroccan government, while WHO and its UN partners “stand ready to scale up our response to provide supplies and technical assistance as needed.”

The earthquake, which took place on Sept. 8 with its epicenter in El-Huz, a region connected to the city of Marrakesh, resulted in significant damage felt not only in the capital, Rabat, but also in cities like Casablanca, Meknes, Agadir, and Fes.

The earthquake, which occurred on Sept. 8 with its epicenter in El-Huz, a region connected to the city of Marrakesh, resulted in significant damage felt not only in the capital, Rabat, but also in cities like Casablanca, Meknes, Agadir, and Fes.

It claimed nearly 3,000 lives and left thousands more injured.

spot_img

Related articles

Natasha: Kogi Central recall process concluded – INEC

The Director of Voter Education and Publicity at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Victoria Eta-Messi, says the...

How Police rescued kidnapped foreigner in Taraba

The Police Command in Taraba State, in collaboration with the military and hunters, has rescued a kidnapped foreigner. The...

Why South Korea’s court ousts impeached President Yoon

South Korea’s top court on Friday unanimously ruled to remove impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol from office over...

UN: Treaty on older people’s rights moves ahead

Geneva, April 3, 2025 – The United Nations Human Rights Council began an intergovernmental process on April 3,...