Why Burkina Faso suspends BBC, VOA for 2 weeks

Date:

Share post:

Burkina Faso has suspended the BBC and Voice of America radio networks from broadcasting for a fortnight for airing a rights report accusing the army of attacks on civilians, authorities said.

International NGO Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday said soldiers in Burkina Faso’s jihadist-hit north had killed at least 223 villagers, including 56 children, in two revenge attacks on February 25.

“The programmes of these two international radio networks broadcasting from Ouagadougou have been suspended for a period of two weeks,” the communications authority (CSC) announced late on Thursday.

It said the decision had been taken because BBC Africa and the VOA aired and also published a report on their digital platforms “accusing the Burkina army of abuses against the civilian population”.

The body said the report contained “hasty and biased declarations without tangible proof against the Burkinabe army”.

Burkina Faso has not commented on the report. The West African nation has been battered by a jihadist insurgency that swept in from neighbouring Mali in 2015.

spot_img

Related articles

Wild Africa urges swift pangolin protection law

Wild Africa has urged the Federal Government to expedite passage of the Endangered Species Conservation and Protection Bill...

How tanker crash killed woman in Lagos

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) says a petrol tanker accident at Ekoro Road, Abule Egba, has...

Shettiman Keffi applauds President Tinubu over new electoral law

By Shettiman Keffi I wish to sincerely commend President Bola Tinibu, for signing the 2022 Electoral Act into law,...

Traditional Rulers Key to Ndokwa Unity – Amechi Asugwuni

The President-General of the Ndokwa Neku Union (NNU), Chief Amechi Asugwuni, says traditional rulers remain central to promoting...