21 dead, over 50 houses destroyed by flood in Niger

Date:

Share post:

The Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) has confirmed the death of 21 persons in a deadly flood disaster that ravaged two communities in the early hours of Thursday.

The affected communities are Tiffin Maza and Anguwan Hausawa in Mokwa town of Mokwa Local Government Area.

According to NSEMA, the incident occurred during a heavy downpour that lasted several hours.

The NSEMA in a statement issued by the Director General, Abdullahi Baba Arah, said the surging flood waters submerged and washed away over 50 residential houses with their occupants.

In response to the disaster, he said the agency in collaboration with Mokwa LG Authority, local divers and very brave volunteers, are currently conducting search and rescue operation to rescue survivors and recover corpses.

According to him, as at the moment, three persons have been rescued, including a woman and her two children. They are receiving treatment for wounds and shock at the Mokwa General Hospital.

“NSEMA is in receipt of report of a deadly flood disaster that ravaged two communities.

“Twenty-one corpses have so far been recovered of those who sadly lost their lives in the incident while over 10 persons are still missing as search and rescue operation is still ongoing,” he further stated.

The National Hydroelectric Power Producing Areas Development Commission (N-HYPPADEC) has expressed shock at the development.

NHYPPADEC in a statement by Nura Tanko Wakili, Head, Press and Public Affairs, said preliminary reports indicate that the flood swept away hundreds of properties and left several persons, including children, unaccounted for.

“The incident has left the entire community devastated and in distress. As we assess the situation and prepare for an appropriate response, we urge residents to remain vigilant and comply with safety directives from relevant emergency and disaster management agencies to prevent further loss,” the statement said.

The Commission also appealed to relevant stakeholders to act swiftly in providing relief and support to cushion the impact of the disaster on the affected communities.

spot_img

Related articles

Zamfara Security: Gov. Dauda Lawal to Launch Armoured Vehicles, Surveillance Drones February 18

Governor Dauda Lawal will on Wednesday, February 18, 2026, unveil newly acquired Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and a...

Ramadan 2026: Ramadan Begins Wednesday, Sultan Urges Prayers For Peace

Nigeria’s Muslim community will begin the 2026 Ramadan fast on Wednesday, February 18. This follows the official announcement...

Sultan declares Wednesday first day of Ramadan in Nigeria

The Palace of the Sultanate Council of Sokoto has announced that Muslims in Nigeria will begin the Ramadan...

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of 2026 lent

Millions of Christians worldwide observe Lent, a 40-day period of prayer, fasting, reflection and sacrifice leading up to...