Benin gets ECOWAS electoral assistance, pledges adequate security

Date:

Share post:

                                    

Benin Republic has expressed appreciation to ECOWAS for a donation of 150,000 US dollars to support the country’s presidential election on 12 April 2026.

The cheque was presented to officials of the Benin Ministry of the Interior as part of assistance to Member States holding elections, under the provisions of the ECOWAS Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.

Receiving members of the ECOWAS Long-Term Election Observation Mission (LTEOM) to Benin, on Friday, 27th March, on behalf of the Minister, the Permanent Secretary, Eric Agossounon, assured that the financial support would be prudently utilised and commended ECOWAS for its solidarity with Benin.

Mr Serigne Ka, Acting Head of the ECOWAS Electoral Assistance Division (EAD), who led the delegation to the meeting, briefed the Permanent Secretary on the Mission’s objectives.

Accompanied by senior officials of the Ministry, including the police, immigration and other security agencies, Mr Agossounon also thanked ECOWAS member States – Nigeria, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire, which supported and continue to assist Benin following the December 2025 foiled military coup attempt.

He said the Ministry of Interior was coordinating and also partnering with security agencies to provide adequate security and protection for citizens, polling officials and observers across the country’s 12 Administrative Districts through the National District Command Centres.

Mr Agossounon said the three-layered national security arrangement under the Joint Operational Order is headed by the Chief of Defence Staff, and involves the police as the lead agency during elections, which would intervene only at the invitation of authorised polling officials.

According to the Permanent Secretary, the National Guard and the military would only be involved where necessary, depending on the seriousness of the situation.

Following the beginning of political campaigns, he said that no violence had been reported so far. However, he identified the northern part of the country as a potential flashpoint, noting that adequate arrangements had been made to secure the area.

The two candidates cleared for the 12 April presidential contest are Mr Kossi Mbuèke Romuald Wadagni, the Finance Minister, who is the ruling presidential coalition’s flag-bearer, and the opposition candidate M Paul Hounkpè.

The meeting with the Interior Ministry officials is part of the LTEOM’s ongoing confidence-building consultations with Benin political stakeholders toward ensuring a credible election and consolidating democratic principles for regional peace and stability.##

spot_img

Related articles

NDLEA Destroys N301bn Drugs in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has destroyed 329,865.585 kilograms of cocaine, heroin, opioids, cannabis and other...

Ebonyi Legislature lauds IFAD -VCDP’s productivity impact on rural farmers

The Ebonyi State House of Assembly has lauded the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) assisted Value Chain...

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities

A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Omooba Abimbola Onabanjo, and his wife, Olori Abayomi Onabanjo, have donated 20 additional...

LASEMA Contains Fire at Aswani Mechanic Village

A fire outbreak at Aswani Mechanic Village, off Osolo Way, Ajao Estate, Isolo, Lagos, gutted six shops on...