Police Will Continue To Punish Errant Officers – PPRO

Date:

Share post:

Policemen

The dismissal of an assaulting police constable from the Cross River Police Command was to serve as a deterrent to errant others.

The assertion was made in Calabar on Friday by the police spokesperson in the state, DSP Irene Ugbo.

The Nigeria Police Force had earlier dismissed one PC Okoi Liyomo with Force No. 524503 who was caught on camera beating a man with a machete at Ekori in Cross River.

DSP Ugbo told newsmen on Friday in Calabar that police operatives who went beyond their brief of protecting lives and property would have themselves to blame.

“What just happened was a clear indication that we are ready to punish errant officers regardless of who brought them into the police force.

“Such disciplinary measures will continue within the force. I urge police officers to discharge their duties in consideration of the oath they took to protect the lives and properties of Nigerians,’’ she said.

Meanwhile, a Kwara High Court in Ilorin on Thursday convicted one Christopher Adetuberu, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member serving in Ogbomosho, Oyo state, for offences bordering on internet fraud.

The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) secured the conviction.

The Presiding Judge, Justice Ibrahim Yusuf said that Adetuberu, 28, was found guilty of the two counts of cybercrime preferred against him by the Ilorin Zonal Command of EFCC.

Yusuf sentenced the defendant to two years imprisonment with N200,000 as an option of fine, adding that his conviction would serve as a deterrent to others.

The court also ordered the forfeiture of a 3-Bedroom flat acquired with the proceeds of the illegal activities, a Lexus car, different brands of phones, a laptop, as well as N921, 535.49 found in his bank account to the Federal Government.

Adetuberu, an indigene of Ilesha, Ilesha West Local Government Area of Osun, was arrested at Ogele area of Eyenkorin, Ilorin.

The convict had in the course of an investigation, revealed that he ventured into ‘Yahoo Yahoo Business’ in 2016 and had among other things, built a house with the proceeds of the illegal activities.

In a related development, Justice Yusuf sentenced a 30-year-old aluminium fabricator, Saheed Olayiwola to six months custodial imprisonment at the Correctional Centre in Ilorin

Olayiwola, who hailed from Olorunda Local Government Area, Osogbo, Osun, was sentenced without an option of a fine for allegedly acting as ‘Loader’ to co-fraudsters.

The court also ordered forfeiture of the Toyota Camry car recovered at the point of his arrest, his phone and a laptop, which were instruments of the illegal activities, to the Federal Government.

Justice Yusuf in his judgment said the convict was found guilty of one count charge of possessing funds which he knew to be proceeds of unlawful activities preferred against him by the anti-graft agency.

The judge said there was merit in the prosecution’s case, adding that the admittance of guilt by the convict was enough evidence to convict him.

spot_img

Related articles

Muyiwa Akintunde leads seven-person Exco for NIJ alumni

On 22 August, renowned journalist and seasoned communications expert Olumuyiwa Akintunde took office as President of the Nigerian...

REEEA-A seeks greater support to scale clean energy impact

The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Associations Alliance (REEEA-A) has called for greater stakeholder support to expand its...

Ondo Woos Investors As State Advances Electricity Reforms

The Ondo State Government has called on investors and development partners to explore opportunities created by the state’s...

87-yr-old storey building to position Igbo-Ukwu as Anambra’s cultural city

Grandson of late Chief John Ubabukoh, Mr Ozioma Ubabukoh, says the renovation of his grandfather’s 87-year-old storey building...