Uganda opposition leader says wife hospitalised after being choked…

Date:

Share post:

NAIROBI, Jan 24 (Reuters) – Uganda’s opposition leader Bobi Wine said on Saturday his wife had been taken to hospital after soldiers invaded their residence, partially undressed and choked her.

Wine, a pop star-turned-politician, was not at the property and is in hiding after he escaped a previous raid on his home last week hours before he was announced  as the runner-up in the January 15 presidential election.

The Reuters Inside Track newsletter is your essential guide to the biggest events in global sport. 

Overnight into Saturday, soldiers forcefully entered the opposition leader’s home in the Magere suburb in Kampala’s north, breaking down doors and beating up staff, Wine said in a post on X.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Ugandan military spokesperson Chris Magezi could not immediately be reached for comment.

Four-decade incumbent ruler Yoweri Museveni, 81, was declared winner of the vote with 71.6% against Wine’s 24%. Wine rejected the results, alleging extensive fraud including ballot stuffing.

During the raid on the residence, Wine said, the soldiers held his wife Barbara Kyagulanyi at gunpoint, asking her to reveal his whereabouts.

“They grabbed my wife’s phone, forced her to sit down, and ordered her to remove her password. She refused. They strangled her and insulted her,” Wine said.

“They forcefully removed her blouse and took pictures… my wife was rushed to hospital where she remains admitted.”

Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Uganda’s military chief, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, who is also Museveni’s son, has demanded that Wine surrender to police or he would be treated as a rebel, and has also issued death threats to him.

On Friday Kainerugaba also said authorities had killed 30 supporters of Wine’s party National Unity Platform (NUP) and detained 2,000 others. Wine has not been accused of any crime.

Wine alleges that money, documents and other electronic gadgets were also taken during the raid.

On Thursday U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed concern over the arrests and violence involving opposition figures and supporters.

Rights groups and opposition critics have long accused Museveni of using the military to maintain his grip on power. Ruling party officials deny the accusations, and say Museveni’s long rule is due to popular support among the voters.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Don says he won’t examine ineligible students

Prof. Chike Osegbue of the Department of Political Science, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, has addressed issues concerning postgraduate...

​Olympic Committee hails President Tinubu for visionary leadership

​The President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Engr. Habu Ahmed Gumel, has issued a resounding congratulatory message...

APC city boys rally while Obi buys groundnut from market women

Nigeria’s 2027 presidential race may still be months away, but the battle for perception, structure, and momentum has...

Why Cross River state is set for oil-producing status

The Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) has formally received the final report of the Federal Government’s...