UNICEF scaling up Papua New Guinea landslide response

Date:

Share post:

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, May 28, 2024 – UNICEF says it is intensifying its emergency response in the wake of last Friday’s catastrophic landslide in Enga Province, Papua New Guinea (PNG).

According to UNICEF, hundreds of people were killed, critical infrastructure destroyed and left thousands homeless.

It said that search and recovery efforts are being led by the PNG Defence Force under extremely challenging conditions, with the terrain still unstable and damaged roads restricting access to the disaster zone.

“We are working closely with Papua New Guinean authorities and community organisations to provide vital support to the survivors of this terrible disaster,” said UNICEF Representative Angela Kearney.

“It’s now clear that over 40 per cent of those impacted are children under the age of 16 who have been deeply traumatised by the loss of their families, homes, and livelihoods.”

In an initial response, UNICEF has distributed a quantity of hygiene and dignity kits, containing buckets, jerrycans and soap as well as reusable sanitary pads, multipurpose cloth and other items which had been prepositioned with the local Provincial Health Authority.

UNICEF has been part of rapid assessments to establish the broader WASH, education, child protection, health, and nutrition needs of the affected communities.

Meanwhile, evacuation centres, supported by local authorities and the PNG Defence Force, are providing essential services and support to those displaced.

spot_img

Related articles

Natasha: Kogi Central recall process concluded – INEC

The Director of Voter Education and Publicity at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Victoria Eta-Messi, says the...

How Police rescued kidnapped foreigner in Taraba

The Police Command in Taraba State, in collaboration with the military and hunters, has rescued a kidnapped foreigner. The...

Why South Korea’s court ousts impeached President Yoon

South Korea’s top court on Friday unanimously ruled to remove impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol from office over...

UN: Treaty on older people’s rights moves ahead

Geneva, April 3, 2025 – The United Nations Human Rights Council began an intergovernmental process on April 3,...