US launches air strike on ISIS terrorists in Nigeria

Date:

Share post:

The United States says it has carried out multiple air strikes on Islamic State (ISIS) militants in north-west Nigeria.

President Donald Trump announced this on Thursday, saying the operation targeted fighters accused of killing mainly Christians in the region.

In a Truth Social post late on Christmas Day, Mr Trump said the strikes were launched “at my direction as Commander in Chief.”

He wrote:

Tonight, at my direction… the United States launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS Terrorist Scum in Northwest Nigeria, who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians…” 

The strikes come after weeks of increasingly sharp warnings from the U.S. administration, which had accused ISIS and related extremists of a surge in violent attacks against Christians in Nigeria’s north, especially in Sokoto State near the Niger border.

White House officials have repeatedly said the violence against Christians reached levels “not seen for many years… and even centuries.” 

In early November, Mr Trump ordered the Pentagon to “prepare for possible action” if Nigeria’s government did not do more to protect persecuted religious communities.

The Pentagon, referred to in administration statements as the “Department of War”, posted a brief unclassified video appearing to show a missile launch linked to the operation.

The President was clear last month: the killing of innocent Christians in Nigeria (and elsewhere) must end… ISIS found out tonight — on Christmas. More to come…”

Nigeria’s Foreign Ministry confirmed it had received advance notice of the operation and said the strikes were part of ongoing security cooperation with international partners, including the U.S., against terrorist and violent extremist threats in the country.

The ministry stressed the action reflected structured cooperation rather than unilateral intervention.

spot_img

Related articles

Police Arrest Self-proclaimed Olu of Ikeja, Set For Arraignment

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a man, Adeniyi Illo, for allegedly parading himself as the Olu...

Vote For Only trustworthy candidates in Ebonyi – APC Chieftain

Vote "Only trustworthy candidates will be voted by Ebonyi South Zone"--- APC ChieftainThe All Progressives Congress (APC) in...

Ebonyi Rent Control Initiative: How Far Can Nwifuru Go?

By Obike Ukoh The Ebonyi State House of Assembly recently passed a Bill for Law to regulate house rents...

Navy Hands Over Bags Of Foreign Rice To Customs

The Forward Operating Base (FOB) of Nigerian Navy, Badagry, Lagos on Tuesday handed over 364 bags of seized...