Why FG withdraws criminal complaint against Ibom Air passenger…

Date:

Share post:

The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, has announced the withdrawal of the criminal complaint against Ms. Comfort Emmanson related to her unruly behaviour on an Ibom Airline flight on Sunday, August 10, 2025.

In a statement issued today, Keyamo said consultations with key stakeholders in the aviation sector and those involved in the recent airport incidents informed the decision.

He noted that the episodes have raised public awareness about appropriate conduct in the aviation space and highlighted gaps in airport security protocols.

Keyamo stressed that evidence shows both passengers and airline staff were at fault in the incidents, and all parties must acknowledge their share of responsibility.

Following appeals from well-meaning individuals and the remorse shown by Ms. Emmanson, Keyamo confirmed the withdrawal of the complaint.

“When the Police took her statement in the presence of her lawyer, she exhibited great remorse for her conduct,” he said.

He added that the Police and Airport Command will facilitate her release from Kirikiri Prisons within the week.

Keyamo also confirmed that the Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) have agreed to lift the lifetime flying ban previously imposed on her, with details to be released publicly by the AON.

Also, the minister, announced that Wasiu Ayinde Marshall, popularly known as Kwam 1, will have his flight ban reduced to one month by the NCAA following his unruly behaviour at a ValueJet flight.

Keyamo stated that FAAN will collaborate with the music star to engage him as an ambassador for proper airport security protocols going forward.

Keyamo also confirmed that the NCAA has withdrawn its criminal complaints against Kwam 1 after he publicly demonstrated remorse for his conduct.

He said the decisions are part of broader measures to ensure aviation safety while recognising penitence and promoting public awareness of proper conduct in Nigeria’s airports.

“These above decisions were taken by Government and the airline operators purely on COMPASSIONATE grounds as Government will never pander to base sentiments, politically-motivated views or warped legal opinions when clear encroachment of our laws are involved.

“We are also sending a CLEAR MESSAGE that we take safety and security in the aviation sector very seriously and we have decided to draw a line after these clemencies,” he added.

spot_img

Related articles

A celebrated life and a call for Justice: Bishop Badejo honours late Bishop Adelakun

The Catholic Diocese of Oyo came together in solemn unity as the funeral Mass of the late Bishop...

FAAN reaffirms commitment to transparent and statulory-aligned employment processes

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has reassured its staff, stakeholders, and the Nigerian public of its...

Why Orodata Science unveils Pan-African newsroom AI network

Orodata Science, in partnership with the Africa Data Hub (ADH), has unveiled the Pan-African Newsroom AI Governance Network,...

Why SACHO wants aviation considered as pioneer industry

Skyway Aviation Handling Company (SACHO) on Sunday, urged government to consider aviation as a pioneer industry, to enable...