FG orders new 5 years visa reciprocity between US, Nigeria

Date:

Share post:

Nigeria’s government on Friday directed the full implementation of a new visa reciprocity policy for citizens of the United States of America with effect from March 1, 2023.

According to the government, it includes an extension of visa validity to three years for diplomats and government officials of the citizens of Nigeria and the United States of America.

Interior Minister Rauf Aregbesola, gave the directive in a statement following approval for the implementation of the new Bilateral Consular Policy Agreements between the two governments.

Persecondnews recalls that President Muhammadu Buhari launched the new Nigeria Visa Policy in 2020.

The policy among others seeks to promote tourism and boost cultural exchanges and businesses between both nations.

The agreements among others include the reciprocity of five-year tourist visa validity for American Citizens pursuant to Section 30 of the Immigration Act, 2015, a statement by the minister’s media aide, Mr Sola Fasure, obtained by Persecondnews, said.

It said the Minister of Interior had directed the Nigeria Immigration Service to start the implementation of the policy from March 1, 2023.

“As part of the Bilateral Agreement, the United States of America will implement a similar policy for Nigerians wishing to travel on tourist visas to the United States and for our diplomats and officials visiting the country.

“The United State will thus extend tourist visa validity for Nigerian citizens to five years.”

On Saturday’s Presidential and National Assembly polls, he said movements across the borders with other countries had been banned until after the elections.

“Internal movements have been restricted to the polling units. There will also be no movement of persons across national borders.

“Law enforcement agencies are required to use all means necessary in providing security for lives and property at the polling units, in the streets, and at the borders.

“Every threat must be contained and assurances must be given for lives and property and the success of the elections,” the minister said.

He also urged all registered voters in to come out en masse on Saturday and exercise their civic duties.

“We assure you of a safe and secure environment before, during, and after the elections”.

Aregbesola wants Nigerians to be vigilant and report any suspicious persons or activities to this security agencies or on the N-Alert application online.

spot_img

Related articles

Gumel Hails Senior Female Volleyball Team For Breaking 16-year Jinx, Qualification For 2028 Olympics

By Dianabasi Effiong The President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Habu Gumel, has congratulated the Senior Female National...

CSOs ​‌‌commend FEC move to decriminalise attempted suicide, urge bill passage

The Nigerian Mental Health and Nigeria Suicide Prevention Advocacy Working Group, have commended the Federal Executive Council (FEC)...

APGA Senatorial Candidate Sues For Calm after murder of supporter

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) Candidate for Ebonyi North Senatorial district Chief Chikaodili Ojimba has urged party...

Talba urges harmonisation of energy policies

Dr Imamuddeen Talba, Pioneer Chairman, Steering Committee of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Associations Alliance (REEEA-A), has...