Why Burkina Faso suspends BBC, VOA for 2 weeks

Date:

Share post:

Burkina Faso has suspended the BBC and Voice of America radio networks from broadcasting for a fortnight for airing a rights report accusing the army of attacks on civilians, authorities said.

International NGO Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday said soldiers in Burkina Faso’s jihadist-hit north had killed at least 223 villagers, including 56 children, in two revenge attacks on February 25.

“The programmes of these two international radio networks broadcasting from Ouagadougou have been suspended for a period of two weeks,” the communications authority (CSC) announced late on Thursday.

It said the decision had been taken because BBC Africa and the VOA aired and also published a report on their digital platforms “accusing the Burkina army of abuses against the civilian population”.

The body said the report contained “hasty and biased declarations without tangible proof against the Burkinabe army”.

Burkina Faso has not commented on the report. The West African nation has been battered by a jihadist insurgency that swept in from neighbouring Mali in 2015.

spot_img

Related articles

CSOs ​‌‌commend FEC move to decriminalise attempted suicide, urge bill passage

The Nigerian Mental Health and Nigeria Suicide Prevention Advocacy Working Group, have commended the Federal Executive Council (FEC)...

APGA Senatorial Candidate Sues For Calm after murder of supporter

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) Candidate for Ebonyi North Senatorial district Chief Chikaodili Ojimba has urged party...

Talba urges harmonisation of energy policies

Dr Imamuddeen Talba, Pioneer Chairman, Steering Committee of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Associations Alliance (REEEA-A), has...

Alimosho General Hospital takes preventive healthcare to Ikotun Market

Alimosho General Hospital, Igando, has offered a comprehensive medical outreach to traders at the Ikotun market in Lagos,...